Windows 10 has added a lot of new updates to provide innovative and useful features to its users. Compatibility service is one of the elements in it which is enabled by default in Windows devices with a responsibility to collect the data of the user activity and further send it to Microsoft. Collecting the user’s activity information is not a huge problem, but the main issue is that it takes high CPU resources sometimes. visit at : office setup
Since it collects non-personal data, Microsoft utilizes the user activity to improve its services and Windows security programs. Windows compatibility telemetry is a Windows operating system file located in C: drive. The exact location to find it is C:\\Windows\\System 32 directory. If you think it is a malicious file, then you could be wrong as the file responsible for several processes in a Windows system. The Compatibility Telemetry CPU high usage is common in Windows 7, 8 and 10.
There are four levels of telemetry divided in Security, Basic, Enhanced, and Full. The Security level collects the telemetry data which is stored and available in Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education Edition. The Basic level contains a set of data required to comprehend the device to spot and rectify a problem. The collected data in Enhanced level inform the activities of the users. It also tells how a user is utilizing the apps and Windows. It further helps Microsoft to improve the Windows. In the end, the Full level is responsible for gathering the complete information from all other levels and sends it to the company to enhance the program.
The high usage of Compatibility Telemetry is an issue worth taking care of because it can bring error messages in the system. If you are also facing the high CPU error, then you must follow the guide and disable the compatibility telemetry in Windows.
Here, how to disable Windows compatibility telemetry
Command Prompt is a service given in every Windows to execute a task in the system. You need to enter commands as the Command Prompt runs when you give it a command line as an input.
- Press the Start button and type cmd.
- Now, click cmd from the results and open Command Prompt.
- Now, type sc delete DiagTrack and press Enter.
- Type sc delete dmwappushservice and press Enter.
- Again type, echo “”>C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ EtLLogs\AtutoLogger\AutoLogger-DiagTrack-Listerner.etl and press Enter
- At last, type the command red add “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection”/vAllowTelemetry/t REG_DWIRD/d 0 /f and press Enter.
Using Windows Registry Editor
Users have confirmed that registry Editor is workable to disable Compatibility Telemetry. You can also try the registry editor to disable it in your Windows 10.
- Press Windows Key + R.
- It will open the Run
- Now, type regedit in the search bar and Windows Registry Editor will open.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and click Software.
- Now, expand Policies and go to Microsoft.
- Go to Windows and select Data Collection.
- Right-click on DataCollection and go to the New
- Now, select DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- A dialog will appear.
- Set the Value Name to Allow Telemetry.
- Change the Value data to “0” (zero) without under quotes and press OK. It will disable the Telemetry.
Using Terminate CompatTelRunner.exe
The CompatTelRunner.exe File Operation can be used to disable the Compatibility Telemetry. It will fix the Telemetry high disk usage issue.
- Press Windows + R and open the Run
- Type msc and press Enter.
- It will open Windows Task Scheduler.
- Go to Task Scheduler Library and expand it.
- Move to Microsoft and click Windows.
- Now, select Application Experience.
- Right-click on Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser and click Disable.
- As you have implemented the steps, you have disabled the Compatibility Telemetry successfully. More Info : office.com/setup
Windows 10 is considered a user-friendly operating system and its problem tackling ability enhance the user by providing the inbuilt solutions and tools. Command Prompt, Registry Editor and CompatTelRunner.exe are one of these tools which you can use to solve the errors, issues or other problematic programs.