A password reset disk helps you to reset the local password in your Windows. If you have forgotten the password of your account, then you will be unable to create a password reset disk. Prevent the situation before it happens for real as it might cause you to lose your data. Remember, if you create the reset disk password, it will only be for the local accounts. Resetting the Microsoft Account password using reset disk is not possible. With some simple steps and in a brief time, you can create a password reset disk in your Windows. All you need is a USB drive or an SD card plugged into your Windows system to create a password reset disk. The password reset disk, once created, works forever till eternity. Don’t wait for the day when you might need it, just create one right now.
How to create a password reset disk in Windows
- As mentioned above, plug in your USB drive or SD card. Do not remove the drive until the process is complete.
- Now, press Windows Key + S to open Search Bar.
- Type User Account in the search bar.
- Open the User Account and click Create a password reset disk.
- Click Next.
- Click to open the Dropdown Menu.
- Select a device from the drop-down menu in which you want to create a password reset disk.
- Type your local account password.
- Now, click Next.
- Wait for the creation of a password.
- When the process is done, click Next
- Now click Finish to complete and close the process.
- The Password Reset Disk contains a single file named psw which has the backup version of the password. It will be on the disk which you chose during the process.
When you forget your password in future, you can recover it from the Password Reset Disk saved in the USB or SD card. Do not delete the file ever or you will never be able to recover or reset the password if forgotten.
Ela Thomas is a Microsoft Office expert and has been working in the technical industry since 2002. As a technical expert, Ela has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as office.com/setup